These Practice Advisories Provide guidance for lawyers on specific circumstances. They supplement the Legal Profession Act, the Code of Professional Conduct, the Rules and Policies of the Law Society.
These advisories have been approved by the Law Society Legal Ethics and Practice Committee.
These advisories are provided by the Law Society of the Northwest Territories to assist lawyers. Readers must exercise their own judgment when making decisions for their practices.
- Trust Accounts and the NWT Law Foundation
- Trust Conditions
- Bartering Legal Services
- Banking Procedures for Payments in Excess of $25 Million
- Production Orders: New Investigative Powers
- Photocopying a Client’s File
- Guidelines for Lawyers Acting for Survivors of Aboriginal Residential Schools
- Guidelines on Ethics and the New Technology
- Destruction of Closed Client Files
- Death or Disability of Sole Practitioners
- Guidelines for the Assessment of Costs Against a Member or Student-at-Law
- The Lawyer as Advocate: Communicating with Witnesses through Agents