Lawyer Mobility

The Northwest Territories is not a participating jurisdiction of the National Mobility Agreement (NMA).

The Northwest Territories, Nunavut and Yukon have signed a Territorial Mobility Agreement (TMA) with all other Canadian jurisdictions. Through this agreement, the territorial law societies now participate in national mobility as reciprocating governing bodies with respect to the permanent mobility provisions of the NMA. The temporary mobility provisions in the NMA, however, are not currently recognized by the three territories.

As of December 13, 2012, the TMA continues indefinitely, and will be reviewed periodically by all jurisdictions through the Federation of Law Socities of Canada.


Through the Permanent Mobility provisions of the TMA, lawyers may apply for full membership with the Law Society of the Northwest Territories without passing a Bar exam, provided they:

  • are members, in good standing, of another jurisdiction; and
  • read, and declare to have read, a prescribed list of legal documents and materials relevant to their practice in the Northwest Territories.


Lawyers are not permitted to practice within the Northwest Territories for any period of time without a membership. A person who has been duly called to the bar of a province or territory or has been admitted to practice as an attorney, advocate, barrister or solicitor in the superior courts of a province or territory may apply to the Executive for a Restricted Appearance Certificate through our Admissions page to appear or to act as an active member on a single matter or for a number of matters over a limited period of time. An RAC provides a lawyer with the equivalent of membership for the purpose(s) set forth on the certificate.


Persons practicing law in the Northwest Territories without a Law Society membership are considered to be practicing without authorization. To find out what this means, please see Unauthorized Practice.

Scroll to Top