The Law Society maintains a number of committees to ensure the legal profession is properly governed under the Legal Professions Act. Ad Hoc Committees are established periodically by existing committees (with approval from the Executive) or the Executive.
As well, various committees outside of the Law Society's jurisdiction affect the legal profession and the public. When the Law Society is invited to participate on these committees, members are elected/appointed to represent the Law Society.
ACCESS TO JUSTICE COMMITTEE
- The NWT Access to Justice Committee will provide strategic direction and leadership to coordinate NWT initiatives whose aim is to improve and promote access to justice across the Territory.
Margo L. Nightingale (Chair)
- To review those applications referred to the Admissions Committee by the Executive Director (Deputy Secretary- Treasurer) for compliance with the Rules of the Law Society of the Northwest Territories;
- To mark examinations;
- To provide recommendations to the Executive of the Law Society; and
- To address those questions relevant to admission to the Law Society which are referred to the Committee by the Executive.
CONTINUING PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT COMMITTEE
- To educate the Society’s membership by sponsoring and/or funding seminars on various legal topics of current interest and importance;
- To provide resources to the Society’s membership, such as video and reading materials, relating to legal topics of current interest and importance; and
- To educate the public regarding legal issues when fiscally possible.
R. Ian M. Rennie (Chair)
- Review complaints concerning lawyers or articled students that are referred by Law Society staff, the Complainants Review Committee or any other committee.
The Discipline Committee may dismiss a complaint, instruct staff to make further investigation, order a conduct review of a lawyer or recommend that a citation for a formal hearing be issued against a lawyer. The Committee also considers conditional admissions of discipline violations.
- To review the proposed budget of the Law Society of the Northwest Territories and make recommendations on it to the Executive;
- To comment on the manner of investment and the parameters of investment of the Law Society’s funds; and
- To deal with matters of finance referred to the Committee by the Executive.
Karen L. Wilford (Chair)
- To respond to questions from the Executive regarding insurance issues;
- To report to the membership at the Annual General Meeting regarding the activities of the Committee and to respond to any questions regarding insurance matters;
- To designate a representative for the Advisory Board of the CLIA and to report to the Executive regarding CLIA’s operations; and
- To assist the Continuing Legal Education Committee and/or the CBA with respect to loss prevention activities as requested from time to time.
Jack R. Williams (Chair)
LEGAL ETHICS & PRACTICE COMMITTEE
- To research, discuss, and make recommendations to the Executive of the Law Society on any questions of an ethical or practical nature referred to it by or through the Executive.
The Committee does not make “rulings”, nor does it play the role of practice advisor directly with members of the Law Society of the Northwest Territories.
Karen E. Lajoie (Chair)
- To monitor the implementations and effect of the existing Rules of the Law Society and suggest alterations or specific amendments to the Executive and membership of the Law Society of the Northwest Territories;
- To evaluate proposed alterations to the Rules and ensure that the policy goals, purpose and intent of proposed alterations are clear and acceptable to the Executive and membership of the Law Society of the Northwest Territories and within the authority of the Law Society pursuant to the Legal Profession Act; and
- To develop and recommend specific amendments to effect approved alterations to the Rules.
Sarah A. E. Kay (Chair)
- To organize social events, either on the Committee’s own initiative or at the request of the Executive, for the enjoyment of the membership of the Society and to enhance relations among the legal community.
Christopher D. Buchanan (Chair)
Appointments & Joint Committees
CIVIL BENCH & BAR (SUPREME COURT)
Karen L. Wilford (Appointee)
CRIMINAL BENCH & BAR (SUPREME COURT)
Thomas H. Boyd (Appointee)
JUDICIAL APPOINTMENTS ADVISORY COMMITTEE
(TERRITORIAL COURT JUDGES)
FEDERAL JUDICIAL APPOINTMENTS ADVISORY COMMITTEE
(SUPREME COURT JUDGES)
LEGAL AID COMMISSION
Caroline G. Wawzonek (Appointee)
M.M. DE WEERDT LAW LIBRARY COMMITTEE
JUDICIAL COUNCIL FOR TERRITORIAL COURT JUDGES
NORTHWEST TERRITORIES LAW FOUNDATION
TERRITORIAL BENCH & BAR (CIVIL) COMMITTEE
TERRITORIAL BENCH & BAR (CRIMINAL) COMMITTEE
Charles B. Davison (Appointee)
TERRITORIAL COURT RULES